Saturday, January 4, 2014

Nozar Visits Chinese Medicine Doctor


Beautiful view from the Piasau Boat Club

Suspension bridges at the first oil well sight in Miri.

It only took me two weeks since arriving in Miri to hurt myself this bad. It might look like I got involved in a street fight, but I actually paid to be hurt. On a Saturday morning, looking for something to do, I decided to get a cab to downtown to find a local breakfast and have a little walk. Wandering in the Chinese market section of Miri, I saw a Chinese sign (with a few English words) advertising for Chinese medicine on second floor. I couldn't resist my own curiosity, so I went upstairs to see what it was all about. The receptionist there asked me what my ailment was. Since I wasn’t sick at the time, I mentioned I have sinus allergies and that my feet get tired when I walk. She referred to a mysterious, large, handwritten Chinese medicine manual and determined I could use a medicinal massage. Disappointed that she wasn’t offering something more exciting, I suggested that acupuncture may be right for me. After realizing that I am there for fun, she said I don't need any acupuncture, but I can receive a massage. I agreed.



Four days after treatment!
After some waiting I was taken to the treatment room where a woman Dr. and her message assistant were waiting. After some discussion, mostly in Chinese, I am seated in a chair, and massage begins on my scalp and neck. An instrument was used, something like a bone, to perform the head message which hurt so bad I had to remind myself that big boys don’t cry. We proceeded on to the message table, where the assistant began applying clear, glass suction cups to my back and moving them over my skin. Now envision a Lady Dr. yelling instructions in Chinese, her big guy massager working really fast, so I can’t find time to cuss, I’m yelling out in pain, and the receptionist/translator can’t stop laughing at me. This went on for 20 minutes.



Total damage: $23 and a completely bruised back. Will I go to see my Chinese medicine friends again? You bet. Maybe next time I can get them to do acupuncture.



Have a great day.



Nozar

3 comments:

  1. hahaha--way to be adventurous, nozar! i've had that style of massage here in seattle too. it's called cupping. my back looked even worse than yours! feels good though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree that it felt good! But I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. You are far more adventurous than I am, my dear!! I hope your next one is more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete